Why chose Lighthouse Physical Therapy for your concussion rehab and treatment?
Dr Zumwalt is an ITPT certified concussion rehab expert and the leader in the Spokane Valley.
What is a concussion?
A brain injury caused by a blow to the head or a violent shaking of the head and body. This occurs from a mild blow to the head, either with or without loss of consciousness and can lead to temporary cognitive symptoms. Symptoms may include headache, confusion, lack of coordination, memory loss, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, ringing in the ears, sleepiness, and excessive fatigue.
There are 6 different categories of concussion:
- Double vision, blurry vision, and poor spatial awareness.
- Dizziness with particular positions, poor balance, tinnitus, motion sensitivity, and nausea
- Neck discomfort, headaches, poor balance, numbness, and poor body awareness.
- Heart palpitations, faitining, lightheadedness, diarrhea/vomiting, insomnia, fatigue, anxiety
- Memory loss, brain fog, “fullness” of the head, slow processing, difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness
- Depression, irritability, nervousness, restlessness, anxiety and confusion
Lighthouse offers 3 unique concussion rehab services in Spokane and Liberty Lake:
We offer FREE baseline concussion testing:
- This is huge for diagnosis as it gives us an opportunity to map the brain’s neurocognitive abilities before an injury occurs. This will streamline our treatment plans.
We offer $100 dollar post-concussion evaluations:
- After a concussion it is VERY important to come in and get assessed. We will give you all you need to care for your concussion from day one. We will assess any injuries associated with your concussion as well as obtain a thorough evaluation of your concussion. We utilize IMPACT post concussion testing as well as a full assessment.
- If you do not have medical insurance, we offer 75 dollar follow ups to utilize our sensory station to restore cognitive ability and return you back to your sport or work!
How we do things differently:
The concussion rehab program at Lighthouse entails an initial examination of oculomotor and vestibular processes as well as a full sensory station evaluation.
We look at HR response under stress to establish a baseline and then look into cognitive functioning on the sensory station to visualize the affected areas of the brain. From there, we derive an individualized program aimed at improving HR regulation and cognitive resistance to concussion by improving the 6 aspects of cognitive processing.
Our concussion rehab program also includes a 5 step return to sport for our athletes!